Sunday, January 10, 2016

What A DIfference A Year Makes

At this time last year I was starting down a very rocky road.  A mere four days into the New Year and "the uncontrollable" had wiped out any hope I had for 2015.  I know, so dramatic right? 

That's how it felt though.

There were many challenges and changes in the last year.  There was also incredible strength, growth and relationship building.  My life will never be the same, it will be better.

Today I can look back on 2015 as a year of great personal growth.  I spent a lot of time setting myself up for success in 2016.  I did a lot of hard work.  I dug the foundation.  Last year my goal was survival.  This year looks quite different!

Resolution:

1. Don't be so hard on yourself.  Less self hate, more self love.  There were points in 2015 where I was downright cruel to myself.  I had myself believing that if I could just try harder or if I was less scared that I could actually will what was going on with my eyes away.  That's crazy and not at all even remotely possible.  When that asshole of a voice chimes in this year I plan to yell "shut the hell up" amongst other things.  

2. Stop spending time doing things that don't make you happy.  I spent all of 2015 going to yoga classes at the gym because I love yoga.  Only thing is I don't love the yoga that's taught at the gym.  I love slow, restorative, meditative yoga.  Not add a push-up before every chaturanga yoga.

My gym membership is free though and it's convenient so I continued to go all year long even though I wasn't enjoying it.  Those days are behind me.  I'd rather take a spin class which I find uplifting or pay a monthly fee at a yoga studio more in-tune with my preferences.

3. Take control LESS.  This is a big one for me.  Having been brought up in a very unstable environment I learned at a young age that to feel safe I had to be in control.  As an adult and someone who's been in a safe place for a long time now I could have let that responsibility go a bit. 

I haven't though.  Instead I turned it into a career.  I'm the one planning, fixing, leading and creating order.  Add to that my marriage to a homebody.  If Dar and I have a social engagement it's because I planned it well in advance.

The thing is, I don't want to be in control in all facets of my life.  Some of my best days ever have been days where someone else was in charge.  Spur of the moment trips.  Go with the flow situations.  I am desperately craving the feelings I feel on those days.  They are after all what I just referred to as the best days ever.  I need them more often. 

4. Let shit go.  I have gotten leaps and bounds better at this but there is still room for improvement.  Obviously I'm human and I have feelings of sadness, anger etc.  I don't need to let them carry me away though.  Acknowledging the feelings help.  I mean of course I'm upset that I can't drive myself to In-N-Out when I have a craving.  I've suffered a huge loss by not being able to drive anymore.  It's ok for me to be down about that at times.  Indulge for a minute or so though and then it's time to move on.

Goals:

1. Cut out reality tv.  One show at a time.  By the end of the year they'll all be gone.  I'm betting I'll be a more positive person for it.  I tell myself that watching "those train wrecks" makes me feel better about myself but in all honesty I think they're really just making me a more negative person.  The first to go is Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

2. Save $1200 for Paris.  Certainly not enough for the trip but I am horrible at saving money so this will be a huge deal for me.

And lastly, my word of the year.  I thought about this one a lot.  Like a lot a lot.  I think the word I've decided on is absolute perfection...

EASE

My word of the year is ease! 

"Ego says, once everything falls into place I'll feel peace.  Spirit says, find your peace and then everything will fall into place".  Marianne Williamson

I've been doing it egos way for my entire adult life.  It's time to let my spirit have a chance.  I'm ready to stop trying so hard.

With that I wish you all a very happy New Year.  XO

10 comments:

  1. That's a great word! I could work a little more towards that...and less control too.

    Glad to see you back in this space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much Steph! It's great to be back. I so appreciate you always showing up after my long breaks. It really means a lot. I hope you've been well. Big hugs and here's to living with more ease :)

      Delete
  2. How wonderful to see you here again! What a fitting and beautiful word, I love it.
    Letting go of shit is such an important lesson, yet so hard to do. I guess the more we practice it, the easier it will be.
    Your spirit is beautiful and wise, it will guide you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Miriam. That means so much coming from you wise one :). We are life long learners aren't we. So thankful for that. Thanks so much for reading. XO

      Delete
  3. I love all of these goals... they're so awesome yet so general - I think the pressure of having to complete a super specific task can be daunting and intimidating. Following these will make sure that no matter what, you have a great year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got to give ourselves some wiggle room right? I personally hold myself to such high standards that doing something with a little more ease and flexibility seemed fitting for this year 😊. Thanks so much for reading Amanda!!! I hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  4. Great resolutions/goals! This are tough things to do/change....especially consistently but I think you're strong enough to blow through them with grace!
    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will certainly give it my best shot. And if at first I don't succeed I will try and try again.

      Delete
  5. Your Number one is something I really need to work on as well. I'm down to only a few reality TV shows. The ones I've watched forever and will just watch until they go off the air. America's Top Model already did!! And I try not to start new ones. Kardashian's sounds like one of the biggest offenders so I think that's a great place to start!! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year to you too Cece. I am super proud of myself. After I eliminated the Kardashian's I got rid of 4 of the Real Housewives series, Teen Momm 2, Dn't Be Tardy and a few others. I still have a good half dozen remaining, those will definitely be the harder ones to let go of but I am dead set on doing it. It's amazing how much more free time I have already!

      Delete