Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Inspiration, Entrepreneurs And Ohter Deep Thoughts

I hear a lot of people talking about inspiration these days.  If you ask a blogger why they started blogging, 9 times out of 10 they'll make some reference towards inspiration.  I know I did.  I just didn't quite know what that meant for me at the time.  People blog and read blogs for lots of reasons.  Some for outfit inspiration, i.e. let's see how many ways I can style a chambray shirt.  Others treat it like a personal Pinterest board with lots of wish lists and pretty images.  Then there are those, who like me dabble in both of the above, but really truly find the fulfilling, life changing type of inspiration in the bloggers themselves. 

The people doing what they love.  The one's who took a risk, worked really hard and changed their lives.  The ENTREPRENEURS.  Since I was a kid I've been an entrepreneur of sorts selling mistle toe at Christmas to buy my family presents, putting together car washes to raise money for trips.  I even started and sold subscriptions to my own newspaper when I was in the sixth grade.  I'm not sure why but as an adult I've managed to bury that part of me.

 I feel ashamed for what I'm about to write because I have a lovely life and I know there are people in this world who would give anything for what I have.  I don't want to sound ungrateful or unappreciative, because I'm not, that said though there's this undying feeling that my life is not what it's suppose to be.  There's something nagging at me, telling me that there's more out there for the taking.   The truth is for the first time in my life, I'm really scared.  Everyday I spend trying to figure what "this" is I feel a little more unsatisfied.  If this little ole blog with it's 63 readers doesn't open up some doors for me, or at least lead me in the right direction, I'm afraid that this is what my life will be like, forever.  Me always feeling like I should be doing something more.  

 For the last year these feelings have been mounting.  I was content climbing the ladder professionally and moving around the country.  It was exciting and it kept me occupied.  It's only in this current state of stability that I feel unstable. 
    
Lately, I've found myself in some pretty eye opening situations.  I spent this afternoon in Los Angeles with a few guys from Westin Mitchell Design Group.  Young, like minded guys working together to build something for themselves.  Their business is unique, their designs are one of a kind, and there's no doubt that their hearts are into this business they're building.  I wanted to cry when I left their warehouse.  I felt so proud of what they've started. 

Earlier in the week I visited a co-workers friends food truck, Bunz Up.  Same story, young guys with college degrees who started out in Corporate America and felt like there was more.  When they couldn't take status quo anymore they called it quits and moved to San Diego to start their own business.  They're making sacrifices (4 people in one apartment) and working long hours, but they're doing it.  

I'm sure I've met dozens of people with similar stories throughout my adult life, I just didn't notice them.  This is my wake up call.

No comments:

Post a Comment